So much of what we eat has to do with how we feel. Are we feeling sluggish? Are we depressed? Are you one of those people who grab a candy bar when you are feeling down? Your boss pissed you off so you scarf down some potato chips? When you are tired do you grab a coffee filled with crème and sugar? When you are bored do you nosh on empty calories from processed junk?
Just changing our mindset can help us make better food choices and we can do that by simply setting our intentions every morning when we wake up. Forget those out dated New Year’s Resolutions, they generally don’t work because they are so broad and cover way too much territory over a long span of time. Intentions are the new resolutions because they can be practiced anytime throughout each and every day. The morning is usually best because it is a time to start anew and if you set your intentions for what type of food day you will have, in time you will notice how those dangerous food habits we have can transform. What you focus on in your mind is what you see in your reality, by setting intentions we are telling the universe what we want to focus on eating for the day. Here are five to get you started that have helped me… but feel free to come up with your own. Just don’t use words like no, not or never. Intentions should always come from a positive angle.
1. My intention today is to choose foods that nourish my body and soul.
2. My intention today is to fuel my body with nutrient and vitamin rich foods.
3. My intention today is to choose whole plant based foods over processed junk foods.
4. My intention today is to take sugar out of my diet.
5. My intention today is to practice mindful eating as I now consume only organic fruits, vegetables and grains.